Organization: Polish Humanitarian Action – Polska Akcja Humanitarna
Country: South Sudan
Closing date: 15 Jan 2017
PAH in South Sudan is looking for a Safety & Risk Advisor
- Organization: Polish Humanitarian Action (PAH)
- Position: Safety & Risk Advisor
- Location: South Sudan
- Contract details: 3 months probation period with possibility of extension
- Starting date: January 2017
- Recruitment open for national/international staff
What PAH is about?
Polish Humanitarian Action (PAH) is a non-governmental organization employing people who want to make the world a better place. For over 20 years, we have been providing relief in big and small emergencies worldwide alongside with running missions in several countries in crisis. Our interventions of both humanitarian and development character have been carried out in 49 countries so far. We concentrate on ensuring sustainable and stable development of regions suffering consequences of war and/or natural disasters. We possess long-standing expertise in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), but also implement projects in Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL), as well as Shelter, Nutrition and Education. For more information, please refer to www.pah.org.pl.
PAH in South Sudan:
PAH has been working in South Sudan since 2006 as one of the first NGOs established in Jonglei State. We are a small team of committed individuals aiming at delivering tangible and sustainable change in the largest, most populous and most conflicted state of South Sudan. We are needs- and community based, hence aside drilling and repairing boreholes, developing accompanying O&M structures and innovative approaches to sanitation and hygiene promotion, we have also been developing our emergency response capacity. Our Emergency Response Team (ERT) mainly reacts to WASH and NFI needs of populations affected by conflicts and natural disasters, which have been on the increase for the past two years. Thanks to the expertise gathered over the years, we were also appointed to lead WASH Cluster in the state: we coordinate WASH emergency response with partners and hence make sure all vulnerable communities are served at the time of crisis.
PAH in South Sudan is looking for a new Safety & Risk Advisor who will:
- Provide constant risk management assistance to PAH Head of Mission and all employees on the mission
- Implement and if necessary update PAH risk management protocols and Safety procedures,
- Gather and maintain a data base of safety and risk incidents.
- Represent PAH at the NGO Security meetings and all other relevant NGO, UN or government meetings and ensure an effective cooperation with those and other relevant stakeholders,
- Conduct security and risk mitigating trainings and briefings for PAH employees,
- Conduct risk assessments, usually to remote and/or high-risk areas.
What PAH requires:
- At least two years experience working for a humanitarian or development organization, or research institution focusing on peace, conflict, humanitarian relief or development,
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in peace and conflict studies, security studies, international affairs, economics, political science, international development, or related field,
- Experience in post-conflict and/or insecure environments preferred,
- Experience in South Sudan, Sudan, or East Africa preferred,
- Above-average computer literacy, especially with MS Office products (Office, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.). Experience with GIS/mapping software highly desired,
- Fluency in written and spoken English,
- Non partial, unbiased and neutral,
- Comprehensive professional experience in security risk management of development, humanitarian and/ or international organizations in fragile contexts is required,
- Experience in crisis management and the establishment and implementation of security concepts,
- Ability to work under pressure and in crisis situations as well as high frustration tolerance
- Excellent communication and advisory skills, which allow you to explain the relevance of the security risk management to both internal and external stakeholders.
- The position has a considerable workload and the candidate must be willing to work long hours, including overnights during emergency,
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously,
- The position will have a lot of independence; the candidate must be a self-starter and exhibit initiative,
- The candidate must possess common sense, an ability to learn quickly, and must work well under high pressure,
- High attention to detail is required,
- An ability to approach complex situations from a creative and innovative perspective,
- An ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, with a high degree of respect for varying cultures and backgrounds, is required,
- Developing and maintaining key relationships is essential,
- Outstanding communication skills; the candidate must be able to write clear and succinct reports, to explain complex program threat dynamics to audiences with varying levels of comprehension, and brief high-level individuals. The candidate must be able to speak carefully and diplomatically, and must be a competent and comfortable public speaker.
- The candidate must be willing to work in a hazardous, conflict/post-conflict environment; the candidate must be comfortable working in significantly underdeveloped conditions with intermittent active armed hostilities,
- Although the position is based in the State capital, the candidate is expected to operate with poor communications infrastructure, and may experience frequent power outages,
- The candidate must be willing to travel to remote and high-risk locations,
- This is a non-family/unaccompanied post with limited amenities.
What PAH offers?
- A full time position with a probationary period of 3 months,
- Monthly salary calculated based on experience,
- A challenging, exciting and active job in an organization combining emergency and development work,
- Annual leave of 26 working days and days off in lieu of working weekends and holidays,
- Covered insurance costs.
- Free cost of accommodation on PAH premises in Juba and in the field,
- Flights home covered every 3 months up to approximately 1200 USD,
- Per diem of USD 25 per day for each day spent on the Mission on top of the salary
How to apply:
If you are interested, please submit your application (not more than 4 pages) to the email address: email@example.com not later than January 15th 2017. Please, include note ‘SAFE’ in the email subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.