Country: South Sudan
Closing date: 19 Dec 2016
Develop, lead, monitor and evaluate the assigned health project(s). Effectively manage and report on projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget with a focus on health system strengthening, training and coordination. Manage and train primary health care staff to meet international quality standards in health care delivery, encouraging beneficiary participation. Liaise with other stakeholders, and anticipate, plan, and contribute to the development of new health project proposals and reports.
Take a look at Medair’s Health & Nutrition work.
Medair’s goal in Renk County is to reduce morbidity and mortality in vulnerable displaced and host populations through the provision of emergency WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene), healthcare, and nutrition services. To accomplish this, Medair works in Abayok and Wunthou camps for internally displaced persons (IDPs) providing primary healthcare and outpatient nutrition services. In Abayok Medair provides 24 hour skilled delivery in Abayok and Stabilization Centre inpatient care. Medair provides outpatient nutrition services in a third site alongside support for a Ministry of Health primary healthcare clinic, and mobile nutrition clinics in 8 villages. Medair is implementing integrated Community Case Management (iCCM) in remote villages where access to healthcare is difficult, and has set up Care Groups through which behavioural change communication messages reach more than 6,000 households.
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired and motivated by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure. Internationally recruited field and headquarters staff lead the organisation, supported by nationally recruited staff to implement programmes locally.
Field based position in Renk, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan**.**
As soon as possible
Initial Contract Details
Full time, contract of 12-24 months
Key Activity Areas
Health & Nutrition Project Management
- Manage the assigned health and nutrition projects in order to meet the project objectives within budget and within the allotted time frame and report promptly any operational concerns to the project coordinator and country health advisor (e.g. projected failure to meet objectives; increased beneficiary needs; projected over or under spending on project budget).
- Provide strong leadership of the assigned health project, working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local health authorities (where applicable) and local health staff.
- Contribute to development and implementation of an appropriate and effective health strategy including proactive planning for responsible exit in consultation with country health advisor, project coordinator, other health staff and field managers.
- Set clear objectives and indicators for health activities in collaboration with the country health advisor, project coordinator, health staff, field managers and, where appropriate, with the local communities.
- Develop new proposals, linked to the assessed needs and gaps and the Medair country strategy, in conjunction with the relevant field managers and the country health advisor.
- Line-manage the Health and Nutrition Managers of the assigned projects, including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc. It may also be necessary to line manage other health and nutrition project staff.
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff.
- Provide coaching and technical supervision to staff in order to develop ownership and full responsibility for health activities.
- Manage the health budget for the assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards.
Communication & Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the Emergency Response Team, Medair in-country and HQ health and nutrition managers and advisors and other relevant stakeholders.
- Participate and represent Medair in health coordination and cluster meetings.
- Ensure timely procurement of medicine, equipment, and nutrition supplies for delivery of the project.
- Liaise, as necessary, with the health, logistics and finance staff to ensure items are procured, transported, stored, managed and accounted for correctly.
- Promote and use the Medair intranet and other operating procedures, ensure that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Ensure health projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
Field – Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Live, work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings.
- Instigate and contribute to prayer times within internationally recruited staff and HQ teams.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
- Clinical degree or diploma (nurse, midwife or doctor), or Public Health degree
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years’ post-qualification nursing / medical professional experience; 1 year’s management experience in a health context.
- At least 1 year work experience in health in developing country.
- Knowledge and experience of primary health care principles and management; clinical skills within a
- Primary Health Care setting.
- Experience in training / mentoring / coaching staff; able to set clear objectives for staff and to delegate.
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills; problem solving ability.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills; able to enforce procedures.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Self-motivated, creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner; passionate about serving the poor.
Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) roles in the field
- Professionals with 12 months or more relevant relief or development experience (Experienced Relief Workers)
- Professionals with less than 12 months relevant relief or development experience (New Relief Workers)
- Experienced professionals in a relevant Medair sector of expertise
- Overseas intercultural experience
- Fully committed to the Medair values; to reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, and external contacts
- Able to live and work in a multicultural team under difficult conditions
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, honesty, and physically fit
- Single or married (with no children under 18). If married, your spouse must also apply.
- All potential candidates for field positions must successfully complete the Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC). Information, dates and related costs can be found via this link.
Benefits Package provided to all Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
- Comprehensive briefing at our Swiss Headquarters, as well as an in-country briefing
- Security training for those going to insecure environments
- Accommodation, food, and transportation in-country
- Return flights to and from the country programme (one return flight for every year of service)
- Rest and recuperation (R&R) leave (including travel, accommodation, and food)
- Annual leave
- Comprehensive medical and emergency rescue insurance, with up to 60 days post-assignment coverage, including debriefing
- Disability insurance
Specific benefits for Experienced Relief Workers (IRS)
(Applicants with 12 months or more relevant relief or development experience)
- A salary based upon the grade of the position and experience of the position-holder, starting from USD 1,700 per month
- Contribution matching programme for retirement savings
- Additional contract benefit allowance for those who commit to longer contracts
- Highly subsidised contribution to Medair ROC travel and accommodation costs
Specific benefits for New Relief Workers (IRS)
(Applicants with less than 12 months relevant relief or development experience)
- USD 300 per month
- As soon as 12 months relief work or its equivalent has been completed, a salary based upon the grade of the position, starting from USD 1,700 per month, and other experienced relief worker benefits
Working and living conditions may be very different to those previously experienced.
How to apply:
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values.
b) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
Then to apply, go to http://relief.medair.org/en/jobs/positions/health-nutrition-project-manager-sds-renk then:
c) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
d) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.