Organization: Sheikh Saud bin Saqr Al Qasimi Foundation for Policy Research
Country: United Arab Emirates
Closing date: 09 Oct 2017
About the Al Qasimi Foundation
The Sheikh Saud bin Saqr Al Qasimi Foundation for Policy Research was established in 2009 to aid in the social, cultural, and economic development of Ras Al Khaimah, a northern emirate in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The Foundation’s mission is to generate a world-class body of research on Ras Al Khaimah and the broader UAE region, develop local capacity, and engage the community in its work. The Al Qasimi Foundation serves as a bridge between the research and policy making communities—bringing to scholars’ attention public policy questions important to Ras Al Khaimah, and, in turn, disseminating research findings to promote innovative policy tools and models that will impact positive social change.
The Al Qasimi Foundation approaches its work collaboratively, and aims to establish relationships with talented scholars and world-class universities, innovative public policy research centers, established government institutions, and strategic partners in the private and non-governmental sectors. Although education was the initial focus for Al Qasimi Foundation initiatives, the Foundation is branching into other public policy areas as it matures (including urban planning and development, public health, economics, and the environment).
Purpose of the Role
The Director of Programs is responsible for developing, administering, and evaluating the Sheikh Saud bin Saqr Al Qasimi Foundation for Policy Research’s capacity development programs and related educational initiatives. The position is responsible for leading staff and setting priorities in the Capacity Development Department. It also plays a critical role in building and maintaining relationships within Ras Al Khaimah’s education sector and local government departments.
Context and Environment
The Director of Programs reports to the Executive Director and is part of the senior management team. This position works closely with other Foundation departments as well as partners in the local Ras Al Khaimah community.
To support the Capacity Development objectives and overall mission of the Foundation:
- Lead the planning, development, delivery and monitoring of the Foundation’s current capacity building programs and other relevant educational activities and initiatives.
- Supervise and provide direction to staff in the Capacity Development Department.
- Identify training needs and provide strategic direction for the development of new capacity development and educational initiatives.
- Embody the Foundation’s mission and Customer Service Strategy when engaging with stakeholders and partner organizations.
- Staff Supervision & Human Resources (20%)
- Student Programs (30%)
- Teacher & School Programs (30%)
- Prison Programs (10%)
- Relationship Management (10%)
- Supervise Capacity Development staff, ensuring their work meets Foundation expectations and fostering their professional development. This includes contract preparation and management of external service providers, course instructors, and teaching assistants involved with delivering programmatic initiatives.
- Direct and oversee development and implementation of the Foundation’s programmatic activities, including professional development courses and exchanges for educators and other government staff, enrichment opportunities for students, and employability skill courses for current and former prison inmates.
- Lead need assessments, monitoring, and evaluation efforts to ensure relevance, quality, and measureable impact of capacity development initiatives and programmatic activities. This includes making presentations and writing reports to share findings.
- Manage the development and review process of curriculum and course materials across capacity development initiatives.
- Oversee the continued development of the Ras Al Khaimah Teachers Network (RAKTN) as an effective online professional network by moderating the content, facilitating member participation, and producing quarterly newsletters with department staff.
- Build relationships with relevant stakeholders to foster collaborations that benefit Foundation initiatives and promote programmatic activities to potential participants.
- Create and manage annual work plans and program budgets for the Capacity Development Department.
- Identify policy gaps and develop appropriate guidelines and procedures for programs and activities associated with the Capacity Development Department.
- Participate as an active member of the Foundation’s Management team and contribute to other organizational needs as required.
- Capacity Development team
- Management team
- Other Foundation staff
- Teachers, students, parents
- RAK government and private schools
- RAK Education Zone & Ministry of Education
- RAK government entities
- Service providers and collaborators
Other Features of the Role
Working hours will be 40 per week. Although largely office based, this position will require frequent off-site activities and meetings in the community. There may be a requirement to attend events outside normal office hours as well.
Successful applicants will be provided with a three-year work visa.
- Master’s Degree (Required – ideally in education or related field (EdD or PhD advantageous).
- Personnel Management & Supervision (Advanced – past experience required).
- Communication Skills & Relationship Management (Advanced – ability to work productively on teams and interact with people from diverse cultural backgrounds).
- Time Management (Advanced – ability to perform under pressure, take initiative, and remain flexible in fast-paced environment).
- Analytical Skills (Advanced – ability to think creatively and proactively solve problems).
- Education Sector Knowledge (Advanced – contextual knowledge of UAE or Gulf region especially an asset).
- Program Design & Project Management (Advanced).
- Monitoring & Evaluation (Advanced).
- Documentation & Information Management (Advanced – strong administrative skills and attention to detail).
- Budget Management (Advanced – prior experience required).
- Presentation Skills (Advanced).
- Public Relations & Marketing (Intermediate).
- English Language Skills (Advanced – strong writing skills required).
- Arabic Language Skills (Preferred – advantageous but not required).
- International Experience (Strongly preferred – knowledge and experience in the Gulf region is especially considered an asset).
- Relevant Work Experience (Minimum 8 years – should include training/teaching experience and educational program development).
How to apply:
To apply for this role, kindly send through a Microsoft Word version of your CV and a cover letter detailing why you are suited to this role. Please mark it for the attention of Tim Wingrove, email address: email@example.com.
Please subject your email with the following reference: Director of Programs (Al Qasimi Foundation)